Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Kowhaiwhai Patterns

For a few days now I have been working on Kowhaiwhai patterns. Kowhaiwhai patterns is when you draw lots of different Maori patterns on a piece of paper then trace them onto a wooden plank with two other designs. So it ends up with three designs on one plank. Once you have traced it on then you paint the background. The only colours you are allowed to use are red, black and white. Next you paint the koru patterns.One of the most important things you must remember is to use a suitable size brush for certain patterns otherwise the paint will go out of the lines and it would look messy. I used a thinner brush for the smaller koru patterns. I really enjoy art so this was a really awesome experience for me. This is the Kowhaiwhai pattern I have created. As you can see, I have only used red black and white. 

No comments:

Post a Comment